How to describe people, places, and things in English


Learn how talk  about roommates and every day speaking

First conversation: Talking about roommates

Tom: So, Adrian, what’s your new roommate like?

Adrian: Well, if you have all day, I’ll describe him for you. He’s quite the character.

Tom: I don’t have all day, dude but basically, do you get along with him?

Adrian: Actually, yea but that’s only because we hardly ever see each other. The guy sleeps all day. Sometimes he gets up just to go to his classes, and then he comes back to the room and goes back to bed. Then he’ll get up at midnight and study all night.

Tom: Really? You don’t eat together, then?

Adrian: The truth is, I don’t even know when he eats, or where.

Tom: Then at least he doesn’t leave a mess in the kitchen.

Adrian:  No! The guy is incredibly neat. He actually leaves the bathroom clean every day and he doesn’t seem to have dirty clothes. He’s like a ghost.

Tom: Man, I think you have the perfect roommate!

Adrian: What about yours? What’s he like?

Tom: Well, he is exactly the opposite of yours. We’re a lot alike, and we’re together a lot. I mean, we have two classes together and we’re in the same fraternity, so we’re really good friends.

Adrian: Sounds to me like you have the ideal roommate!

Tom: Well, yes and no. Mine is a disaster in the house. In the first place, he always leaves a mess in the kitchen; he doesn’t wash the dishes or take out the trash. Plus, he throws his clothes all over the place. No to mention how he leaves the bathroom…

Adrian: Come on, Tom he sounds a lot like you. No wonder you get along so well!   


SO
So has many different uses, in the example conversation, it is used to begin a question that is not surprising and may have even been expected.

-So how much do you want for the car? (You know I’m interested in buying it.)
-So when are we leaving? (We both know we are going                                                            somewhere together.) 

Another use of is to mean extremely.
I can’t wait to get there. I’m so excited.

TO BE LIKE
Like asks for a description of a person, place, or thing.

-What’s his wife like? Is she nice?         Yes, she’s very nice

-What’s your new house like?                It’s big, with four bedrooms and three baths

7 Different ways to use like

WILL
  Will—usually in contraction form (I’ll)—is often used to make an offer to do something in the future.
-I’ll go to the store for you.
-We’ll wash the dishes.                               
The same contraction can be used to emphasize that an activity is habitual.
         -Sometimes when I’m alone I’ll go for a long walk
-In the summer, he’ll stay up late every night playing poker                                         with his friends


WELL
Well indicates that what you plan to say next may need a little explanation.
-Did you write this letter?                      Well, yes, but I was upset at that time, and I really didn’t mean everything I wrote.
-How are you?                                Well, I’m ok now, but I’ve had a terrible week.

Dude
Dude is an informal, friendly way of calling a male friend or acquaintance instead of using his name.
-Dude, what time are we leaving tomorrow?


Basically
Basically indicates a summarized or generalized opinion
-What’s your teacher like?                     Well, basically, he’s              the worst teacher in the whole school.

Actually/the truth is
The terms actually and the truth is indicate that the speaker is telling the truth, even if it is surprising.

-Do you like your new job?                    Actually, yes—even though I work nine hours a day.

Another expression that means the same thing is “as a matter of fact”
-Are you moving?                                    As a matter of fact, I am!


Learn how to use the expression:
“As a matter of fact”

Hardly ever
Hardly ever means almost never.
-You hardly ever call me anymore. Are you mad at me?


At least
At least indicates that a situation could be worse.
-It’s so cold outside today! Well at least it isn’t raining.

What about…?
What about…? Is a way to ask the same question about a different topic.

-Are you going to the game?                 Yeah, Jack and I are     going.

-What about Joe?                                    No, he can’t go.


In the first place
In the first place is used to present the first example of why you do or don’t like something. Second/ in the second place or plus can precede the second examples. A final example can be preceded by not mention that.

-We’re not happy in the suburbs.

In the first place, it takes us almost two hours to get to work.

In the second place, when we get home, we’re exhausted.

Plus, we spend so much on gas.

No to mention that the kids are in day care for more than ten hours!


Then
Then can introduce a logical conclusion.

-I’ve got my ticket, and my bags are packed.          Then you’re all     ready to go.

Come on
Come on is a way to say that someone is exaggerating a little bit.

-I have to lose twenty pounds.                        Come on, Alex, you’re not that overweight!

-I’m going to drive home.                                 Come on, dude, you’ve had too much to drink. Give me your keys.

Wonder
I wonder express an unanswered question or doubt.  The subject-verb order is different from that of a question.

-Where Ellie?                                                     I wonder where Ellie is.

-Is Jon married?                                                 I wonder if John is married.

No wonder indicates that something is obvious.

She’s smart, energetic, well educated, and charming. No wonder you like her

Quite the character
To be quite the character is to be unusual in some way.

-She never stops talking but can always make me laugh.                                      
+Yeah, I hear she’s quite the character.

-He’s really quiet and never talks to anybody, yet the girls all          like him
+He must be quite the character

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario